Looking for a new edition to your morning lineup? Overnight oats are a great solution for a nutritious breakfast on the go! Set aside 15 minutes to prepare oats the night before, then simply spoon into a portable container the next morning and you are out the door and ready to conquer the day!
- ½ cup whole grain steel cut oats (stovetop)
- ¼ cup vanilla flavored almond milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 mashed banana (or 1 medium apple)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Assorted berries or chopped fruit for topping
Prep (About 1 minute)
- Peel and slice banana, or dice apple
Let’s Cook! (About 15 minutes)
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in oats and cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until oats start to thicken. Reduce heat and simmer until oats reach desired consistency (about 5-8 minutes), stirring frequently. Note: not all oats are created equally – when in doubt, follow package instructions. Quick cook microwavable oats can be used instead of the traditional stovetop variety.
- Add banana slices or chopped apple about 2 minutes before oats are cooked through, stirring to incorporate.
- Transfer oats and fruit mixture to large serving bowl. Gradually stir in almond milk, mixing with a fork.
- Add peanut butter or almond butter and stir well.
- Sprinkle in ground flax seed and cinnamon, stir to mix.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Top each serving with a pinch of cinnamon, a handful of berries or your favorite chopped fruit and serve chilled. Voilà!
Post by Sloane Brazina