This soup is by far one of my favorite meals. Each bowl packs a ton of flavor and it is effortless to whip up after a busy day. Prefer a milder dish? Tone down the heat by substituting regular diced tomatoes or any pre-cooked chicken sausage of your choice. The seeds can also be removed from the jalapeños, or the peppers can be omitted altogether.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish as much as I do! Happy cooking!
Spicy Kale and Sausage Soup
Serves 4 to 5
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) white beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chilies
- 5 cups Tuscan kale
- 4-5 pre-cooked spicy chicken sausages
- ¼ cup dry orzo pasta
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dried spices: oregano, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red pepper
- 2 small jalapeño peppers
About 5 minutes
- Peel and press garlic cloves.
- Drain beans and rinse in colander.
- Slice sausages and jalapeño peppers.
*Note: Wash hands and work surface thoroughly after handling peppers!
About 18 minutes
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add pressed garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add drained beans and diced tomatoes to pot. Season to taste and cook about 3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and 1 cup water into pot, simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Add kale and dry orzo, stirring well to incorporate. Cover pot and cook until kale is wilted and orzo is soft (about 6 minutes).
- Add sliced sausage and jalapeño peppers, cook until sausage is heated through (about 3 minutes).
- Optional: top with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Serve hot & enjoy!
Post by Sloane Brazina